ADHD diagnosis would usually be given if a patient is observed as having 6 out of 9 of this criteria.
ADHD Type 1
- Often fails to give close attention to details or makes careless mistakes in schoolwork, at work, or with other activities.
- Often has trouble holding attention on tasks or play activities.
- Often does not seem to listen when spoken to directly.
- Often does not follow through on instructions and fails to finish schoolwork, chores, or duties in the workplace (e.g., loses focus, side-tracked).
- Often has trouble organising tasks and activities.
- Often avoids, dislikes, or is reluctant to do tasks that require mental effort over a long period (such as schoolwork or homework).
- Often loses things necessary for tasks and activities (e.g., school materials, pencils, books, tools, wallets, keys, paperwork, eyeglasses, mobile telephones).
- Is often easily distracted
- Is often forgetful in daily activities.
ADHD Type 2
(Hyperactivity & Impulsivity)
Again, the diagnostic criteria are similar in that six out of the nine symptoms must have been present for at least 6 months and must be disruptive to functioning and development.
ADHD Type 2 symptoms
- Often fidgets with or taps hands or feet, or squirms in seat.
- Often leaves the seat in situations when remaining seated is expected.
- Often runs about or climbs in situations where it is not appropriate (adolescents or adults may be limited to feeling restless).
- Often unable to play or take part in leisure activities quietly.
- Is often “on the go” acting as if “driven by a motor.”
- Often talks excessively.
- Often blurts out an answer before a question has been completed.
- Often has trouble waiting his/her turn.
- Often interrupts or intrudes on others (e.g., butts into conversations or games)
Luckily for homeopathy we don’t need a diagnosis to be able to help the patient feel more at ease with the world.
When looking to prescribe homeopathic remedies, we look at all of the physical and emotional symptoms covering behaviour and health. By looking into the whole health history we can also take note of times that instigated changes in behaviour. We often find hints of health disturbance whilst still in the womb or during a dramatic birth or first few weeks of life.
With homeopathy, all of these elements are just as important as the current presentation of symptoms when it comes to deciding on the right remedy to begin treatment. The aim of homeopathy is allow people to be more at ease with the world around them and this is why it is so useful with those with a diagnosis such as ADHD or similar.
It is sometimes hard to understand that those temper tantrums are not solely to make your life miserable, the explosions are not to make life as difficult as possible for all around. They exist because it is too difficult to communicate the frustration they feel inside. This frustration is a build up of emotions which have no where to go, they exist because of a conflict within rather than externally.
With the right homeopathic remedies you will see your child re-emerging from the turmoil they feel within and suddenly you realise it was not in any way intentional and was it was always much more difficult for them to live with, than the effect of the outbursts on you and the rest of the family. You will see they were never intentional.
When you see a homeopath to help begin easing the frustrations and emotional outbursts, you will see that the remedies are used to address both the original cause of the problem as well as the symptom range experienced now. By building the overall resilience, improving both the physical health and the emotional turmoil, you will see your child or relative slowly emerge from wrapping he has been living under for the last few years.
Homeopathy works by asking the body to retune the self healing and balancing system that we all have but sometimes it just can’t get back on track! Homeopathy uses the energy of the body to make the changes needed for new habits to form and grow.
With remedies addressing the original disturbance and remedies addressing the current behavioural traits, the changes will be subtle, gentle and taken at the bodies own pace. They will not be any suppressing of symptoms and they will not be any drug induced calmness. The changes seen will be a long term change of reaction and medicines will not be required for years.
If you would like to find out how homeopathy can help a member of your family then please
Book a FREE 15 minute chat straight in my diary